Every day, normal beautiful women tell me they have no idea how to put makeup on. My advice is always the same and falls in the category of "less is more".
First, find a foolproof makeup line.
My favorite line for makeup nubies and novices is Vapour Organic Beauty. All of their makeup is so blendable, the colors are flattering and forgiving and every piece is gentle and easy to use.
1. Start with Vapour Skin Perfector as a primer (balances skin tone and helps makeup stay put)
2. Lightly apply concealer on dark spot and blemishes
3. Blend foundation over entire face and down neck (they have a great easy to follow color match guide)
* In general in this line, choose the solid forms of primer and foundation for dryer skin and the liquid matte forms for oilier skin types)
4. Apply blush stick (Spark for a hint of color and Courtesan for more "oomph" pretty much look good on everyone). Stroke over apples and cheek bone, lightly crawl up hairline toward forehead and blend
*can be used as multi tool for lips or eyelids as well
5. Use trick stick on outer lip line to create fuller lip and below brow bone to "open the eye"
6. Use black or brown eyeliner on water line and outer lash line of eyes (great built in blender tool)
7. Blend a mid tone shadow from above liner to crease